Sunday, June 27, 2010

Roll a Swiss Roll!

Suddenly felt like baking the other day and thus made use of all available ingredients at Mom's to bake a simple Kaya Roll. As I do not have my favourite swiss roll recipe with me that day, I decided to follow the recipe in one of Mom's recipe books.


Separated the yolks from the whites. I am sure for those who are into baking will know that there must not be any specks of yolks in the egg white as this will affect the texture of the batter and of course the final outcome

The egg whites were whisked together with some sugar and cream of tartar until it turned stiff and form soft peaks

The final batter. I was too busy mixing up ingredients, heating up the oven, and lining the tray with baking sheet that I forgot to take more  photos.

I let the cake cool slightly before spreading it with kaya and rolling  it up. Mom helped me to cut the hard edges away.

Ta-daa! Kaya Swiss Roll

I made use of the extra batter which was not enough to make a roll, laced it with some cranberry jam and there you go, Sponge Cake with Cranberry Jam!

Mr. Tam was the first to chomp down my Kaya Roll.

I tasted my cake and found it to be a tad too dry. Therefore, I will not share that recipe here, but instead, I'll share the following fool-proof recipe which I've tried so many times already over the past few years. This recipe is a lot better because the cake's texture is springy and it tastes a lot yummier too!

Swiss-Roll Recipe

A- 5 egg yolks
     70 ml orange juice
     40 g sugar
      90 ml corn oil
     1/4 vanilla essence
    120 g flour + 1/2 tsp of baking powder (sieved)



B- 5 egg whites + 70 g sugar + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar ( Whisk until stiff and soft peaks form)

1.Mix ingredients A in a bowl in the sequence above. Beat well.
2.Add the egg white batter(B) to A and gently fold it in.
3.Line a 23cm x 33 cm tray with baking sheet. Pour the cake mixture into the tray at bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celcius for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the cake from the tray, cool slightly before inverting it on a baking sheet.
5. Spread Kaya, jam, cream, raisins or diced fruits that you like over the cake.
6. Roll it up slowly.
7. Cut before serving.

I will definitely share more of my baking and cooking attempts here in my future posts. Till then,
have a fabulous week ahead!

2 comments:

jumpingcolours said...

SPL, when can i try? :)

SweetPepperLove said...

livelove: When I bake again...:)