Monday, June 7, 2010

My foodi-licious weekend


Mr. Moon and I met up with two of our friends , Alex and Yung Yaw for brunch. Both of them had been MIA for a while. The former went 'missing' for a few weeks getting himself occupied with long holidays, MSN chats, sweet Facebook messages with his girlfriend and of course his work at Perodua office. The latter was made to be based in Singapore for a project which had just been completed and thus he's back for good!

We actually detoured from a well known beef noodle place in KL which was closed on a Saturday , landing ourselves at Yut Kee Restaurant upon Yung Yaw's recommendation. It was a corner shop situated along Jalan Dang Wangi, opposite Wilayah Complex.

The place was packed with early risers who came for old school Hainanese feast. I'm a Hainanese myself! So this really felt familiar because my Grandma used to run a coffee shop similar to this at Old Klang Road more than 30 years ago, selling chicken rice and old hainanese kopitiam staple such as charcoal grilled toast with kaya and butter. Unfortunately, after passing the business down to my uncle, the place had to close down as the government decided to utilize the piece of land to build a sewage treatment facility. The rest, like they say.... is history!

Anyway, back to Yut Kee. The restaurant serves a variety of food , from Western pork chops, chicken chops to the more localized food such as toast, half-boiled eggs, noodles and rice. We ordered these as shown in the picture.
Pepper sulked because she was not allowed to join us...hehe :)
I quite like the roasted pork served with apple jam which was shared among us. The meat tasted juicy with a layer of thin and crunchy skin on top. I had the chicken chop all by myself and I would rate it good though it would have tasted even better if the gravy was served separately as to not affect the texture of the fried chicken chop. As for the highly recommended Roti Babi, I 'll have to say that this one is a downer. It looked like tuna sandwich to me and tasted like one too. No comments on the other food that were ordered , Beef noodle (Mr. Moon), Beef & Ginger noodle (Alex) and Belachan Fried Rice (Yung Yaw).
Would I go back again? Yes, I would certainly go back again to savour their other delicacies.

And I just got to know they are closed every Monday.
Mr. Moon savouring his beef noodle
Yung Yaw and Alex deliberating on what to order No, it's not Super Sunday............yet!:) . 'Tiga sekawan' at the parking lot where Mr. Moon parked his car

What about Sunday? I had Japanese with rojakgal, Roy, Shirley, James and Alex at Sushi Zanmai, The Gardens.
Pepper can just dream about having sushi for dinner at home, Poor thing.. Alex, what's so funny? Roy and Rojak, Mr. Moon with his hair style ala Korean..:)

It was great catching up with my friends last weekend minus the long queue at Zanmai..Now I'm looking forward to more foodilicious outings...yum yums!


3 comments:

jumpingcolours said...

yay to a new post! :P

Rojakgal said...

Yut Kee is my favourite too. Let's go again next time. CL, pls put bigger pictures la

SweetPepperLove said...

Ok Rojak girl! Let's go again!
Sorry about the pictures..will find time to edit soon. :)Still very new to the world of blogging!:)